Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I tell you what

If one more student comes up to tell me that they are not happy with the grade they got on an essay because they "worked so hard on it," I may end up in prison for verbally assaulting a minor (is that punishable by law?).

Where the hell did these kids learn that if you "do your best" then you should be given whatever it is that you want? I guess I'll take it on as my métier at DU to teach the hard life lesson that "doing your best" is quite often not at all good enough.

Maybe I'll start putting two grades on every paper - one that says for effort: A++ and another of actual grade: C-
Then I can have a fine print disclaimer that reads "for effort grade represents no correlation to reality and, more importantly, counts for absolutely nothing in your final average for the course."

Yeah, that's what I'll do.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have to tell you how much I love this. I always HATED it when kids acted that way... do the shit well or don't. I also hated it when the nerd that wasn't actually smart, but just spent hours on everything got good grades.

Way to be a good Prof! (and if you did end up in jail for that, you know who to call for bail... you have my full support)

 

Free Hit Counter